ISA and Fractional Shares

1 Like

Paywalledā€¦ but from what Iā€™ve read elsewhere it sounds like a disaster.

Ā£100k lifetime allowance?!??

Yeah, they would love to do that as it targets money from younger people, who vote less, to fund their bribery to pensioners with the triple lock.

1 Like

Any updates on this?

Thanks

:flushed:

Presumably many newer platforms including T212 would be affected by this.

Would this affect any holding that isnā€™t owned in whole, discreet units? For example, if you owned 2.5 units of a share/ETF, this would count as a fractional shares?

Iā€™d be interested to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me in this area why the fractional shares would not be considered as ā€œdepositary interestsā€ and permitted within ISAs on that basis. Regulation 7(2)(ha) allows them in S&S ISAs, and regulation 2(1) defines them very broadly:

ā€œthe rights of the person mentioned in paragraph (b), under a certificate OR OTHER RECORD (whether or not in the form of a document) acknowledging:
(a) that a person holds relevant investments [which, on HMRCā€™s case, would be whole shares] or evidence of the right to them, and
(b) that another person IS ENTITLED TO RIGHTS IN OR IN RELATION TO those or identical investmentsā€¦ from the person mentioned in paragraph (a).ā€

In the worst case, Iā€™d expect that to leave ISA providers (the person in (a)) on the hook for one fractional share of each holding on their platform, as (b) seems to permit the individual entitlements to be fractionalised.

1 Like

Hi all, just to let you know, that weā€™ve heard your questions and are staying very close to the story. Weā€™ll come back to you with a full update next week.

Like many others are calling for, and believe will happen, weā€™re aiming for an amendment of the out-of-date rules in the coming Autumn Statement. Weā€™re working with the necessary parties and submitting representation this week to the treasurary in support of this.

3 Likes

The former head of tax at Clifford Chance, who is very well thought of among tax practitioners, essentially agrees (although doesnā€™t specifically bring up the eligibility of depositary interests and focuses on how he interprets ā€œsharesā€ in this contextā€¦ But he basically describes depositary interests in doing so): https://twitter.com/DanNeidle/status/1712397664203973028?t=Rx3pzlSQJ5akdD6QVv7kCw&s=19

More weight against HMRCā€™s position.

1 Like

He believes ETFs and unit trusts are different in the scope of the regs than fractional shares. Iā€™d be interested if this means IEs service will be impacted differently to others, or perhaps not at all.

Dan Neidle doesnā€™t agree with the HMRC position;

1 Like

Representations for Autumn Statement 2023 can be made. I found this on the FreeTrade Community with a template to send.

Closing date is 5pm Tomorrow.

1 Like
2 Likes

I have made a Gov UK petition and need 5 signatures before the petition goes live

I would welcome people private messaging me and I will sent the link to the first 5 people I get in a 1st come, first served basis.

Update: now only need 2 as 3 have taken me up on it.

I hear that once this step has been cleared, it takes a week or less for that actual petition to go public for anyone to sign

The wording shall be as follows

Allow fractional shares to be held in an ISA

After years of this being de facto allowed. HMRC is now quoting regulation dating back to the 70ā€™s to claim fractional shares are not allowed in S&S ISA accounts. We believe this is a backwards move that may make investment in the UK dry up unnecessarily.

We believe this will penalise smaller investors who are building their investment pot. It could also damage confidence in investment and investing and mean that more people might be tempted to either give up investment if they are now to be taxed on something they thought was an account free of capital gains and dividend taxes. The talk of potential fines further stands to damage the confidence of retail investors who are beginning thier investment journey.

Thanks in advance

Due to character limitations I had to stick to the most pertinent points.

1 Like
1 Like

Iā€™ve just signed it. Have you posted it on the other platforms community groups? I think theyā€™re generally bigger and could get you more signatures.

Signed the petition, thanks for posting

Hi

Yes have posted on both Freetrade and 212 forums as well.

Canā€™t sign - says needs to be reviewed