Introducing AutoInvest for DIY investors!

As its name suggests, AutoInvest automatically invests your portfolio cash for you. It’s convenient and, by keeping you fully invested, could also help your portfolio’s returns.

How does it work?

Your portfolio may have just received your monthly direct debit payment or a transfer from your bank, or some of your ETFs may have paid dividends, leaving you with cash in your portfolio.

AutoInvest will automatically invest this cash in the next trading window, using the ETF weights you’ve set for your portfolio.

No need to place manual investment orders or have uninvested cash building up, waiting for you to get around to investing it — it’s all done for you.

AutoInvest will invest as little as £1, though its Cash Buffer option also lets you retain a higher cash balance in your portfolio while auto-investing the rest (for example, if you set a cash buffer of £25 and you have available cash of £100, AutoInvest will only invest £75 of it).

How do I add it to my portfolio?

It’s simple. Just log in to InvestEngine, go to your DIY portfolio dashboard, and click on the AutoInvest OFF label. Or go to the Options menu and select AutoInvest available cash.

Then move the AutoInvest toggle to ON. This will also give you the option to Keep a cash buffer, which lets you set an amount of cash you want to retain in your portfolio while auto-investing the rest.

Don’t have an InvestEngine DIY portfolio? Sign up today to invest with AutoInvest.
Read the full version on our blog

4 Likes

This is such a good idea. I will set it up over the weekend! Who else will?

1 Like

Count me in for AutoInvest!!!

2 Likes

I am investing by a weekly standing order using auto-invest. My thinking is that it will smooth-out the peaks and troughs, hopefully taking advantage of the troughs!

I’m using autoinvest and enjoying it. But one thing I noticed - why does it not invest 100% of the cash immediately? It usually leaves a few pounds in cash on day one, and then invests them the following day…

Hello ETFinvestor and thanks for your question!

The reason you are not seeing 100% of the cash invested immediately, is to do with how the algorithm calculates the order values based on the most recent prices, but then the actual prices of the trades may also differ.

The algorithm needs to leave a cash buffer to ensure the trades that are purchased aren’t a greater value than the cash you have available.

I hope this helps !

Elise

3 Likes

I have another query on autoinvest.

I have 5 etfs - with a 60% weighting on 1 and 10% on each of the others. Though i did start off with x1 etf at 100%.

However when I add any cash and turn autoinvest on it seems to buy awhatever the hell it wants of the % of the 5 etfs. It doesnt for example buy the amounts in the same ratios as the % they should be. For example the last time its bought only x2 of the 5. The time before that it doesn’t buy them to the weights the portfolio was at?

Hello!

If you have changed your weights recently, to implement the changes, you have to then run the ‘Rebalance portfolio’ feature:

Portfolio> ‘Options’>‘Rebalance portfolio’> ‘Confirm’.

If you have any further questions, kindly contact us via support@investengine.com from your linked email so we can take a look at your portfolio.

Have a great day!

I dont want to rebalance though, i want it to keep my holding where it is but buy more of the ones to the values set.

Instead it just randomly picks which ones to buy.