Ukraine crisis — what it means for portfolios

We sent the following in an email to all of our managed portfolio holders on Friday 25th February. I’m re-posting it here so it’s available to the wider InvestEngine community.

Ukraine crisis — what it means for portfolios

We are deeply saddened to see the news emerging from Ukraine over the past couple of days, and the tragic events that have struck there.

As an investor in our Managed Portfolios, we wanted to assure you that we are closely monitoring the events and, as with all ongoing social, political and economic factors, are
considering the implications on our portfolios and your interests.

So far it has been a volatile start to 2022 with inflationary pressures building and central banks reacting by slowly lifting interest rates. The recent geopolitical events will cause some investors to re-evaluate their portfolio exposures; however, it is important to note that our model portfolios are built with a diversified medium to long-term view, and that our exposure to Russian and Ukrainian assets is very limited.

Our portfolios are highly diversified with diversification within and between asset classes.

We will continue to monitor the developing events but we want to reassure investors that our house view remains intact.

All of that being said, inflation is likely to remain above average throughout 2022 and opportunities to generate a positive return will continue to exist. It is important to highlight the importance of asset allocation not only in events such as this but also for the long-term.

Although downturns may be unsettling, we will stay true to our philosophy of diversified, considered, long-term investing. Markets rise and fall, and recoveries follow downturns as we saw in March 2020. Demonstrating that sticking to the long-term plan is more often the best route forward.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the support team by emailing support@investengine.com, or via live chat on the InvestEngine website.

Our Support team is available Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).

2 Likes

Thanks for the email. It actually made me cancel a big sell order. I’m very glad I did. I’m going to sit on my hands from now on.

1 Like