Favourite S&P 500 etf

Which S&P 500 etf is your favourite? There’s a few about and I was considering what the differentiators might be for other users. I’ve both Vanguard and Investec fwiw.

The Invesco S&P 500 (IE00B3YCGJ38) appears to offer, for my requirements, the ‘best’ value v growth opportunities. Followed by iShares S&P 500 (IE00B5BMR087).

Unfortunately the IE platform is very basic. You can however analyze and compare ETF’s sold on IE against traditional funds through https://www.trustnet.com/

Thoughts?

I’ve gone for L&G US Equity ETF … It’s Large & Mid cap 0.05% fee & has done slightly better than the S&P… But its a fairly new ETF.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-s-and-p-500-ucits-etf-usd-distributing/overview

I would choose iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF (Acc) (CSP1). It’s full physical replication, fairly low ocf and it’s large and liquid.

Some great shares already. Many thanks.

I use www.justetf.com a lot for my ETF research.

1 Like

Good point, a Synthetic unfunded swap model ETF such as Invesco S&P 500 (IE00B3YCGJ38) is a riskier investment.

The question is, would ‘we’ accept that additional risk for slightly increased returns and a lower expense ratio over the iShares ETF?

I’ve yet to drill down into a relatively small data set but so far my Vanguard S&P 500 VUSA appears to be outperforming my Invesco synthetic S&P 500 SPXP. I’ll be ‘on watch’ and more so in these coming months. Interest rates, inflation, housing markets, commodities, war, climate change: all in a state of flux and change.

My understanding is that MXWS tracks the World Index and not the S&P?

Apologies, typo! Thanks and duly corrected.,

1 Like

This is interesting. Are you comparing performance between Vanguard S&P 500 VUSA v Invesco S&P 500 SPXP based on data performance received on the IE platform or data comparison from the ‘justetf.com’ platform?

Justetf.com platform indicates that Invesco has slightly outperformed Vanguard over a 3 year period.

Further, IE and Just are giving different performance data sets across a significant number of ETF’s held on the IE platform. (not checked all !) This is worrying, am I missing something? :thinking:

I’ll recheck with IE and Justetf and another source over a couple of time periods.
I’m invested less than a year with these two so my own data is almost statistically irrelevant.
Thanks for the share. Appreciated.

Would be interesting to hear other investor views on the accuracy of ETF performance data held on the IE platform, when cross referenced against external sources. :face_with_monocle:

When you say “IE Performance data” what do you mean by that. I use various sources but the one most useful for the IE fund range is the Financial Times. The FT being UK has a better match than the US sites and gives historic daily closing prices. Is there somewhere in IE that also gives historic daily closing prices?

www.justetf.com and https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/uk/compare are good for research and comparison’s

The following is comparing VUSA and LG, using the FT Fund Comparison Tool

When looking for funds, I personally always look for physicals funds.

1 Like

Yes, that’s an interesting question. It would be nice if we could quantify the risk, but I haven’t found anything that helps with this. Personally, I’m a bit cautious but wouldn’t rule out unfunded swaps altogether. I think there’s not much in it anyway on the TER in this particular instance, so I just personally prefer the iShares one to the Invesco one.

Another respectable ETF is HSBC S&P 500 (HSPX). It also has a full physical replication and relatively low ter (0.09%).

However when you deep dive into the Key Investor Information you come across these statements:

• The Fund may invest up to 35% of its assets in securities from a single issuer during exceptional market conditions.
  • The Fund may invest up to 10% of its assets in total return swaps and contracts for difference. However, this is not expected to exceed 5%.
  • The Fund may invest up to 10% of its assets in other funds, including HSBC funds.
  • The Fund may also invest in derivatives for efficient portfolio management purposes (such as to manage risk and costs, or to generate additional capital or income) and for investment purposes.

A safe investment? Thoughts?

V. Quick comment. Isn’t there another platform provider that also does this or something similar?

Is it better to go for the best performing ETF (and, if so, over what period) or the ETF with the best record of tracking the index?
Here are Just ETF’s best performers over 1 year
And Just ETF’s best performers over 3 years
And the lowest cost ETFs

Anyone know an easy-to-access data source showing how well different ETFs have tracked the index?