Transfer into IE from Aegon S&S ISA

My online Aegon customer number is just 8 digits. The Transfer Existing ISA form wants my Aegon ISA account or reference number to be “84/ or 94/ followed by 8 characters OR A three letter ‘trust’ code followed by 8 digits”. Anyone know about 84/, 94/ or trust codes?

After over 8 weeks my ISA transfer to IE completed. Here are process steps and some lessons learned that will save time for people transferring an ISA that was taken out with Nationwide who subsequently outsourced their investment services to their partner Aegon Financial Planning:

• Don’t use IE’s automated process. Ask IE Support to email you a transfer form. This means you won’t get any transfer progress on your dashboard.
  • IE will email you a link to an online form:
    • ISA Provider’s name – Put Aegon and don’t mention Nationwide. This eventually worked for me & implies Aegon don’t need to be informed about ISA transfers by Nationwide;
    • ISA account number & sort-code – Put your Aegon customer number & add your ISA product number if you can;
    • Signature – the quality of this signature is important. If you sign it with a mouse, Aegon may reject it & you’ll lose time (as I did). You might get away with a touchscreen pen;
    • I ended up exchanging the form with IE Support as an email attachment so I printed the form off, signed it, scanned it back in & emailed it back to IE Support.
  • Once Aegon are happy with the form, Aegon will post you a letter asking for signature verification (as part of their anti-fraud procedures) within 20 working days or they will pause the transfer request. This means either you post your passport or driving licence to them or if you know someone who has an occupation on their approved list on their website, you can get them to certify a photocopy and then you post the photocopy to Aegon.
  • Once Aegon are happy with the signature. AP-3 Referrals MB email to say they are starting disinvestment. 8 days later Aegon email IE ISA transfers to confirm the transfer has been completed. The next day, IE email to say the transfer funds have been received. The funds hit my account later that day.

Overall, the process was time consuming as most manual processes are. I emailed IE Support 9 times & they emailed me 14 times.

The Aegon knock-backs were all about the signature.

The IE Support knock backs were all about the ISA Provider’s name on the repeatedly re-submitted ISA transfer form and whether it was Nationwide or Aegon.

Had similar but worse problems with Aegon /Cofunds after my grandparents died. We took the matter to the ombudsman and they bizarrely ruled in favour of the big corporation.

That was a few years back. Nothing has changed there i see…