What's going on with performance percentages?

What is going on with the performance percentages on etfs held within a portfolio?

As you can see there are instances where the value of an etf has gone down but the percentage is still positive.

The percentages are also massively incorrect.
Take the first etf for example current value is £7770.70 but says +3.83% this would imply a increase in value closer to £300, not the £83.81 stated.

I’m not sure what kind of magical maths IE is doing here but it definitely doesn’t seem right. Can anyone else confirm having the same issue?

1 Like

Hi Spear. I am with you that I do not fully understand the percentage return figures. I know InvestEngine uses time weighted return that is described as:
“The percentage investment return which we show is the time‑weighted return (TWR). This gives a better picture of performance for portfolios where you have made more than a single contribution and/or withdrawals. The TWR adjusts for these cash flows.”

However, I have a portfolio with a single contribution of £100 that I just made for a bit of fun with an AI ETF. So, no complex inflows or outflows and the total investment return is different to the return for the ETF.

Surely the investment return at the top and the return for the single ETF should match?

1 Like

Yeah most of my holdings have been active positions ahve been held for under 2 months, so time weighting shouldn’t be making much of a difference.
There is definitely something up with the code atm. There is certainly no way that a drop in value can be considered as positive growth.

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t see anything majorly wrong with the percentage figures in my main portfolio, but I do think the portfolio I showed above highlights that something is going wrong.

You can’t get much more simple than a single contribution of £100.

+£4.66 (+5.47%) does not make sense to me.

1 Like

@Tom_Whitehead – I’ll need to look into that ETF performance. I believe its a related to timings…We’re get an intra day price when we trade & it might be that we’re using that figure on the % calc. Not 100% sure, we’ll need to look into it.

More generally though and to @Spear your point - the TWR % calculation is standard for Managed portfolios but can throw up some of these anomaly you’ve flagged.

Example you have a £100 invested in a portfolio for 10days it goes up £10, TWR for day 10 = 10%.
You then add £1000 but your portfolio falls by £20 over the next 10 days.
You total return on Day 20 = -£20…but your TWR% for the 20 day period = +8.18%

There is an ongoing debate on our side if we should show a simple or money weighted performance %… but it comes back to our Managed portfolio roots and using the standard measures from and Investment management perspective

I think TWR is the only worth while metric (though the addition of simple return is not a bad idea) because it is the only one that can be used to compare performance with other investments.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, definitely makes sense over the long term but I’m sure there is still something amiss. As the other poster said, I have got some etf holdings with one purchase and have gone down in value still showing + growth

Ok I’m glad im not the only one who was sometimes confused with the return %'s. I’ve had quite a few cases where it has shown +ve £ and -ve % or visa versa.

It occoured mostly when my portfolios are breaking even or moving from red into green.

Just to revive this thread and add on to this. Another thing I have noticed is that the portfolio balances refresh at around 3pm each day, but then the percentage figures do not refresh until around 10am the following morning.

This isn’t a one off and it seems to be standard. If both could be updated at 3pm each day that would be great.